Wednesday, July 22, 2009






Last week, I gave a workshop to members of the Congregational Summer Assembly in cut felted flowers. There were some non-knitters in the group, so I knitted and felted all of the fabric used, and the ladies went to town. Each of their flowers took on a different feel, and creativity was all over the place. I had fun, and I think they did, too! Thank you to Judy Norris for this wonderful opportunity!


In my last post, I told you that I had registered for the Level 1 Masters Knitters Program, from the Knitting Guild of America (TKGA). Well, I have received the packet of instructions: sixteen swatches, answers to a bunch of questions that will be referenced, a paper about blocking and a project ( a knitted striped hat). So, I've been busy organizing and collecting my reference sources. I also began to knit my first swatch. Because this is a learning experience, I decided to challenge myself even more and knit the swatch two different ways. I have been an English/American/thrower knitter forever, but since purchasing the shop, have taught my self to knit Continental/German/picking. Here's a picture of the swatches, one done English (the left swatch) and the other done Continental (the right swatch). They were both done on the same size 7 bamboo double-pointed needles, and both were done on yarn from the same skein, the same number of stitches. I was amazed! The continental sample knitted a full inch narrower, and had much more even selvedges. I have always believed in swatching before starting a project, and now I have the proof. I am going to try the same thing with size 7 Addi turbos, because theoretically, wood knits differently than metal, and straight differently than circular.
All of the learning activities for the Master Knitters program are submitted in a binder. As my journey progresses, the binder will be available in the shop to view until it is mailed to the committee.

No comments: